Water Will Win

Just puttin' it out there.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloweenies


Sorry it has taken so long for me to post. I have been spending my free time (and by "free time" I mean "time I spend bored at work") applying for jobs. No, I'm not getting fired to for blogging at work. My current position is not a permanent one and there is a chance it will be ending soon. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a bad employee, I just don't have enough to do. Looking for a job has really been taking it out of me. I can't even get arrested in this town. I have loads of skills (duh!) but I'm having a terrible time finding gainful employment. I'm really starting to believe those girls in sixth grade that said I suck. I could wallow in my own self-pity for longer, but I'll cut it short because I'm even starting to bore myself.

Today is Halloween! I love Halloween. I kind of get the feeling that Halloween has become the new Columbus Day. By that I mean that people are politicizing it and some people are taking a moral stance against it. I am totally perplexed as to why. When I was younger, it seemed to me that everyone celebrated Halloween. But each year, I hear more and more people mention "We don't celebrate Halloween!" There is this super Christian woman that I work with, and she and her preacher husband honestly believe that it is Satan's Day. They go to church on Halloween, presumably to pray for us sinners who are out trick-or-treating. As if dressing up like a pirate or a slutty nurse, and eating too much candy honors the dark lord in some way. I think that these people really think that there are droves of people out there in black hoods killing babies in the name of the devil. I have never met anyone who claims to be a Satan worshiper. And so what if they were? Umm, Satan is not real you numbskulls! Nothing is going to happen if you draw a pentagram on the ground and chant around it for a few hours. You may as well worship the tooth fairy, at least your mom will leave quarter under your pillow. I think that Satan worshipers are an urban myth that was drummed up to scare people into behaving themselves. I'm sure that are a lot of people out there who like the idea of being a druid, or a witch, but considering these people never posses any real magical powers, maybe we could just let them be. Maybe we could all unite for this one day, to celebrate the idea of fantasy. We could all put aside our religious differences. We could visit our neighbors, maybe give a small treat to people who stop by. Maybe we could even dress up in costumes a pretend to be things that we will never get to be in real life. Wouldn't it be great if there was a holiday like that? Oh, wait, THERE IS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home