Water Will Win

Just puttin' it out there.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Breathe In, Vent Out





This weekend, huzzy and I watched the movie Friends with Money. Overall, I liked the movie (I think). It had a great cast. I think Catherine Keener, Frances McDormand and Joan Cusak are great character actresses. I even respect Jennifer Anniston, despite some of her project choices. Having said that, there are some things about this movie that I’m just not buying into, and they are as follows:

1) There is no way that a beautiful white woman living in L.A., no matter how poor she is or how low her self esteem is, would work as a maid. It would be far more likely that her character would be waiting tables, or even stripping.
2) It was never established how these women knew each other. Were they college buddies? No, because they are clearly not the same age. Did they all work together at some point? They never reveal the connection and it just makes their friendships seem very unlikely.
3) There is no way that a beautiful woman (and they didn’t do much to dumb down Jennifer Anniston’s looks) would date that guy that Jennifer Anniston started dating at the end of the movie. We all know that a guy doesn’t have to be gorgeous to be loveable. But that guy she started dating was just greasy and dirty. And she knew it because she cleaned his gross house. I don’t care how rich he is or how low her self esteem is, it just wouldn’t happen. It makes me think that perhaps this movie would have been better, had someone less good looking been cast in Jennifer Anniston’s part.
4) Were we supposed to believe that since the greasy dude at the end of the movie was rich, that everything was going to end up alright for Jennifer Anniston’s character? I’m totally confused about the message of this movie. I think it would have been better if she had just met a nice guy that was like her. Someone who isn’t rich, but loved her and was supportive. That way, the movie could have reinforced that fact that happiness is not about having money. The way it ended, it seemed like it was saying that every woman who is depressed should go out and find someone who is rich and use them so that they can compete with their friends.
5) I thought the guy who played Frances McDormand’s gay-ish husband, was Christopher Guest playing a British version of his Corky St. Clair character from Waiting for Guffman. It made it a little difficult to take that character seriously.

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

What’s making me happy today:
Pomegranates - They are like little rubies filled with nature’s Hawaiian Punch.

What’s annoying me today:
The gay advertisements on perezhilton.com - I like my celebrity gossip minus the half naked, overly muscular men, in tight shorts, with their legs spread. Perez is gay. I get that. I like it when he writes about gay celebs and talks about gay issues. I love the gays and I’m all for them. But for the love of God, it’s disturbing to have men’s crotches pop out when I’m trying to eat my cereal in the morning. Also, sometimes I’m reading the column from work (We’ve already established that I’m VERY bored at work) and I’m scared to death that someone will walk by my desk and catch a glimpse of the pubic parade on my screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home